- Aim of the course: To familiarize students with the system of
commercial utilization of the natural resources of Russia and to gain an
understanding of the economic laws of nature management accepted in West
- Role of the course in the overall degree curriculum: The course
is one of the main courses of base economic education of the Geography
Faculty students, Moscow State University. It is also taught for the
students of Biological and Soil Faculty.
- Methods used: This course will be run as a series of lectures
and seminars. The students fulfil practical tasks, tests and write
- Course content
- Introduction. Nature management in the cooperation of nature
and society, interdependence of nature management and resource
management, environmental protection and ecological safety. Basic
concepts. Nature and economy: ecological imperative in the economics.
The role of natural factors in the creation of national wealth.
Ecological factor of economic development. Pollution of the
environment. Sources and objects of environmental protection.
- Theoretical basis of environmental economics. Empirical and
theoretical knowledge in environmental economics. Historical
background and origins of theoretical basis of environmental
economics. Historical consistency and continuity of forms of social
and environment interrelation: use, protection and reproduction of
natural assets. Conception of concealed ecological cost. Forms of
concealed ecological cost. Evaluation of concealed ecological cost.
Concept of ecological risk.
- Economical mechanism of nature management. Types of
economic mechanism of nature management, historical formation
features. Theory of direct and indirect ecological regulation. Tools
of direct and indirect ecological regulation. Market and nature
management. Economic assessment of nature goods and nature management
pricing. Evaluation of ecological effect and damage. Nature protection
expenses and efficiency of nature management.
- Economic problems of natural resources use. Natural resources
as an economic category. Natural resources and national wealth. World
market price dynamics on the natural resources and the regulation. The
problem of property on the natural resources and its solution in the
world. Economic regulations of natural resources use. Economic
assessment of natural resources, theory and practice. Specific
features of economic assessment of some natural resources modes.
- Economics in the nature management controlling. Economics
ecologization mechanisms. State and market in environmental
protection. Standard and progressive norms of nature management and
environment quality. Economic methods of nature management controlling
in the modern Russia and their normative legal base.
Ecological-economic modeling for the aims of nature management
control, Russian and foreign experience. Ecological management in
Western countries and its economic basis: ecological audit, ecological
certification, ecological licensing and ecological insurance.
- International aspects of environmental economics. Global
environmental problems and financing of their overcoming. Ecological
programs of the World Bank and another financial institutes. Global
environmental policy and its economical content. International
cooperation in the protection of the environment, ecological safety
and its financing.
- Actual nature management problems in modern Russia. State
regulation of use, reproduction and protection of Russian natural
resources. Insurgency coordination in the nature management, effected
by Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia. Regional control policy of
Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia. The mechanism of regional
policy in Russia and nature management.
- Economic-organizational problems of nature management. General
questions of perfecting economic regulation of nature management under
modern conditions. Social-economic crisis and nature-resort complex.
Payment for the natural resources as a major element of economic
mechanism of efficient nature management. Nature management and
economic activity licensing. Insurance of negative risks of the
environment. Creation of audit system in the use, reproduction and
protection of natural resources.
- Economic Assessment of natural resources of Russia. Climatic
resources. Assessment of territory as a resource for economic
development. Mineral resources. State regulations of the use of
mineral resources. Economic stimulation in the resources-economy.
Water resources. State regulations of the water fund. Land and forest
resources. Biological resources of mainland, water biological
resources. Principal positions of the control of the fish
- Financial provision of activity in the environment.
Environmental legislation and normative legal provision of nature
management. Scientific investigations and elaboration of the problems
of the environment. Monitoring of natural resources and the
environment. Informational provision of the environment.
Bobilev S.N., Hodgaev A. Sh. Environmental economics. Moscow,
Bogolyubov S.A. and authors. Commentary to the Law of Russian
Federation "Environmental protection". Moscow, 1997.
Environmental economics. Analytic and normative-methodic papers. By
Averchenkov A.A., Shevchuk A.V. and Groshev V.L.: Ministry of natural
resources. Moscow, 1994.
Golub A.A., Strukova E.B., Environmental economics. Moscow,
Papenov K.B., Economics and nature management. Moscow, 1997.
Rejmers N.F., Nature management. Dictionary. Moscow, 1990.
State report " State of the Environment in Russian Federation,
2000". Moscow, 2001.
- Economics of natural resources and the environment. Ed. By David W.
Pearce, R. Kerry Turner, New Your, 1990.
- Economics, growth and sustainable environment. Ed. By Collard D.,
Pearce D., London, Macmillian Press, 1998.
- Energy: its use and the environment. Second edition. Ed. By Roger A.
Hinrichs, State University of New Your, College at Oswego, 1996.
- Environment and Business. Ed. By Alasdair Blair and David Hitchcock,
London and New Your, 2000.
- Environmental Science for Environmental Management. Ed. by Timothy
O’Riordan. Essex, Longman, 1997.
- Gilpin, Alan. Dictionary of Environment and Sustainable Development.
West Sussex, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. Washington, US Bureau of
the Census, 1999.
- The development of sustainable tourism. Ed. By Lars Aronsson, London
and New Your, 2000.