1. Introduction. General questions. Questions and answers.
Atkinson, Mabel, The Economic Foundation of the Women's Movement in Readings in Western Civilization in 20th century Europe. 9.vol. Ed. Baser, John, W. and Goldstein, Jan. the University of Chicago Press. 1987.
Mitchell, Juliet Oakley, Ann ed. The Rights and Wrongs of Women. Harmsworth. Penguin. 1976.
Hole. Judith, Levine, Ellen Rebirth of Feminism. NY Quadrangle. 1971
Millet, Kate, Sexual Politics. Garden City. Doubleday. 1970
Mies, Matia, Reddock Rhoda eds., National Liberation and Women' s Liberation. The Hague's. Institute of Social studies. 1982.
Rowbotham, Sheila, Women' s Consciousness. Man' s World. Middlesex. Penguin 1973.
------------------------, Women, Resistance and Revolution. A History of Women and Revolution in the Modern World. New York. Pantheon 1972.
Beveridge, William, New Britain in Readings in Western Civilization in 20th century Europe. 9.vol. Ed. Baser, John, W. and Goldstein, Jan. the University of Chicago Press. 1987.
2. The first theoreticians of feminism. A historical overview. The brief history of the feminist movement
ed. Boxer, Martin, Quataert, Jean, Socialist Women. European Socialist feminism in the 19th and Early 20th. century. NY. Elsevier. 1978.
Mill, John Stuart, The Subjection of Women. London.
3. Feminism relation to other disciplines (literature: Woolf, Beavouir, Fallaci, psychology; Freud and the Freudians Women participation in elections. The gender gap )
de Beauvoir,Simone. The Second Sex. London .Jonathan Cape. 1960.
Woolf, Virginia, A Room of One' s Own in Readings in Western Civilization in 20th century Europe. 9.vol. Ed. Baser, John, W. and Goldstein, Jan. the University of Chicago Press. 1987.
4. The gender question and the socialist Approach .Theoretician: Marx, Engels, Lassale, Kautsky, Bukharin, Lenin, Zetkin. From women's question to Revolution. Are the Marxist categories sex- blind?
Engles, Fridrich, The origin of the Family. NY International publisher 1972.
Marx, Engels. Lenin, Stalin, The Women Question. NY International. 1951.
5. Revolution in Practice. Russia 1917-133. The Sexual Thermidor and after.
Wolchik, Sahron, Meyer, Alfred, G., Women, Sate and Party in Eastern Europe. Durham. NC Duke UP. 1985.
Stites, R., The Women' s Liberation Movement in Russia. Princeton 1976.
Schlesinger, Rudolp , Changing attitudes in Soviet Russia. The Family in the USSR. 1949. London. Butler and Tanner.
Atkinson, D, Dallin, A, Lapidus, G. eds. Women in Russia. Stanford. UP. 1977.
6. The State Socialism and the ideology of equality.
Jancar, Barbara Wolfe, Women under Communism. Baltimore. John Hopkins Press 1978.
Shaffer, Harry G.Women in the Two Germanies. A Comparative Study of a Socialist and a Non Socialist Society. NY, Pergamon. 1981.
Ramet, Pedro ed., Yugoslavia in the 1980's.Boulder Westview 1985.
7 The Functionalism and the Gender Question. From suffragettes to the revival of feminism.
Giddens, Anthony, The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies. NY. Harper Torch books 1975.
8. Women's organizations from aristocratic charity to communist league.
9. Women as ideal. The women in their own press. Contextual analysis of women' s press in the Communist countries in the 1950s.
Kornai, Janos, Socialist System: Political Economy of Communism.
10. Propaganda and reality: a case study of socialist working women in Hungary in the 1950s.
Based on research and documents: a reconstruction of place, role of Hungarian women in the 1950s.
11. Outlook and summary. Introduction to the western feminism. Relevance to Eastern Europe. Women in post socialist society. Feminist journals.
Chafe, William Henry: The American Women. Her Changing Social, Economic and Political Roles. 1920- 1970. NY Oxford. University Press. 1972.
Back to the History Syllabi List Back to the Syllabi Collection
Back to the CRC Homepage Back to the CEU Homepage